Happy Earth Day to you!
Earth Day has been celebrated since 1970. Find out more about Earth Day and the Earth Day Network at http://www.earthday.net/
Now this one day may be called Earth Day however I make every day an Earth Day – why not join me?
If every day we chose to take on one new way of supporting a sustainable Earth then by the end of the year that is an amazing difference you have made. I have focused on changing one thing I do a week, so that is 52 things by the end of the year. That is a very good outcome for us all.
Choices are simple and I would encourage you to take on at least one new item in your daily life today and then to tell others about what you are doing.
· Business cards – printed on paper not plastic, non-laminated using recycled paper with vegetable based inks. Well… that is 4 things all just in your choice of business card printing.
· Electronic Invoices – Send invoices out electronically, pay online and store the receipts electronically.
· Lights – turn on only those that you need, replace bulbs with more energy efficient ones.
· Appliances – Turn them off when not using them. Not just on standby – flick the switch.
· Air-conditioning – In summer set the temperature a degree or two higher (you can cope being warm – just take off another piece of clothing). Better still turn off the unit and put on a fan. Even better open the window and let the breeze blow through.
· Painting – If you are repainting your apartment then choose an eco paint. We used a clay based paint and it went on easily and did not smell at all.
· Cleaning – For your clothes, the dishes and the bathroom look for the eco options. They work just as well, are less harmful for you or your helper to use and they do not pollute the water with chemicals.
· Transport – Reduce the use of your own car. Take a bus or train when you can rather than a taxi. You can even try walking those shorter distances. It keeps you fit and you may meet a friend along the path.
· 3 R’s - Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. There are thousands of things you can do here. Separate out the recyclables from your rubbish and take them to the recycling station.
· Purchases - Choose to buy items with less packaging. Your oranges and banana’s do not need to be wrapped they come in a perfectly natural wrapper!
· Food – Eat less meat and become more vegetarian. I love a good steak though have stopped eating meat everyday. If you just choose to have one meal a day that contains meat rather than 3 meals containing meat then you have made a significant difference to how many methane generating animals have to be grown.
· Air travel – only travel by plane when you have to. Have a teleconference instead. Offset your travel with a carbon programme (http://www.plant-a-tree-today.org/)
· Take time to look at the natural beauty around you. Yes take time to talk to the animals and smell the flowers. It is Earth Day so say hi to you fellow planet mates!!!
Make every day an Earth Day
Monday, April 21, 2008
Happy Earth Day to you!
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Well you know how much I love trees
(oh you do not - then you have a read of a couple of the other posts here)
Today I have had the pleasure of seeing a tree that walks!
Then being hugged by a tree (see the photo of me with Cliff in costume)
Yes Cliff Spenger is The Walking Tree Man and he has walked for the first time in China. It happened as part of the Earth Day celebrations going on at Cyberport in Hong Kong. What a buzz for me to be able to arrange for Cliff to be part of it. He was in the opening ceremony with top Hong Kong models.
If you want to see what Cliff really is about then check out his website http://www.walkingtreeman.com/video.htm
Cliff is on his way to join another great friend of mine, Paul Coleman - The Earth Walker (http://www.earthwalker.com/), in China. Paul has walked more than 45,000 around the planet and helped inspire the planting of millions of trees.
Together they are going to make an interesting combination in China.
It is such a pleasure to be able to spread the environmental message with guys like Cliff and Paul.
If you know of some one else that would love to share their environmental message in Hong Kong then please connect them with me.