Friday, February 19, 2010

Walking the Dog (How it could be)

I love animals and I love helping people out when they are going away on holidays by giving their pets a great time. Louise and I have helped many friends of ours by offering house sitting and pet minding services. Yes we look after dogs and cats (and plants). It is while taking dogs for walks around Hong Kong that I really got frustrated at the type of walk that most dogs get.

For those of you not from Hong Kong picture this. The dog spends most of its day in an apartment, which if the dog is lucky has a balcony to get out on. The exercise for the dog will probably consist of being lead down the road by the domestic helper until the dog goes to the toilet and then home again. This may happen 3 or more times per day though very rarely do the dogs get the chance to go for a run. I thought this was sad until…

One day when walking a friend’s dog up the trail to The Peak we passed a couple pushing a pram/pushchair/buggy. Once in front, I turned to look at the child which turned out to be an overweight dog! Yes this dog did not even have to walk during its exercise outings. Then I noticed its paws, well actually I could not see them, as it had shoes on!!! So even when little precious was let out of the pram it was not even going to get the joy of feeling the earth below its paws. At that point I realised that a real dog days out (like running along a path, jumping in some water or rolling in the mud) was so foreign to many dogs in Hong Kong. When I think of what our farms dogs got up to then I can now appreciate why so many dogs here in Hong Kong are so snappy – they are very frustrated.

I love seeing dogs exploring and playing along with getting dirty. For the few minutes it takes to clean the dog down once you get back from a walk it makes for a very happy dog (the wash is another way to have fun and play with the dog).

If you want to see what some of the dogs get up to when we go to the beach then check out Lulu, a 1 year old Labrador we looked after for 4 months while her owners we back in Japan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo3cfjpI1Sc)




So if you know of anyone looking for someone to take a dog for a walk, a run or even a swim then get let them know their dogs will have superb day out with Louise and I.

Grow well
Dr Merrin

P.S. There is a whole different story to be told about cats though in short if you need someone to entertain your cat then lets meet!

4 comments:

Dr Merrin Pearse - Asia's #1 Ecopreneur said...

Healthy
Active
Pampered
Pets
Yes please

I was raised on a diary farm in New Zealand and I love animals. I have had dogs and cats with me all my life. If you are looking for someone to look after your pet for a day (take it for a walk if it is a dog or just play with it if it is cat) or stay for a few days at your place (pet minding) then contact me.

I have been looking after small and larger dogs, quiet and energetic cats and even looked after peoples plants all over Hong Kong. I can provide references from people who use and recommend me.

Looking forward to meeting you and your pet one day soon.
Merrin

Caroline B said...

Have you got full details on line of the services you provide?

We've written a guide for HK dog owners (the woof guide - www.woofguide.com) and have a face book fan page - our network are always looking for reliable dog walkers in HK - is this the service you are offering? I would love to be able to pass on details.

For more info you can send me a message via the woof guides site.

Cheers

Caroline

Dr Merrin Pearse - Asia's #1 Ecopreneur said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr Merrin Pearse - Asia's #1 Ecopreneur said...

Hi Caroline

Wow your Woof Guide for Hong Kong Dog Owners looks great.

I did have some trouble sometimes getting to the website from
http://www.woofguides.com/ in your post as it was missing the 's'
so here is the full link for others
http://www.muttisgood.com/woofguides/index.htm

Let get in touch and share opportunities!